The North Dakota Cloud Modification Project (NDCMP) is an operational program that seeds clouds for hail damage reduction and rain enhancement in western North Dakota. Counties currently participating in the program are Bowman, McKenzie, Mountrail, Ward, Williams, and part of Slope.
- Cloud Seeding 101 - Learn the basics about how cloud seeding works.
- NDCMP Operation Areas - A map showing where cloud seeding occurs in North Dakota during the summer.
- Aircraft, Radar and Seeding Equipment - Fly along with a top seeder and a base seeder and see some photos of aircraft, radar and seeding equipment used during the NDCMP.
- Pilot Internship Program (997 kb) - The ND Atmospheric Resource Board and the University of North Dakota's John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences have been cooperating since the mid-1980's in an effort to provide appropriate experience for students and young professionals in the weather modification aviation industry. At the completion of the 2013 program, this internship has provided training and experience to over 334 pilots. Nine students are accepted every year. Click the link to find out more!
NDCMP History - A historical summary of cloud seeding in North Dakota.
- Radar Images - Current radar images from the Bowman and Stanley Radars. Bowman radar operates year-round, while Stanley operates from approximately May 15-September 15 each year. Radar volume scans are completed every six minutes and updated images are posted immediately thereafter. Flight tracks for cloud seeding aircraft are displayed when they are flying, but do not indicate whether they are actively seeding or only doing reconnaissance.
- Program Evaluations - A review of independent evaluations of the NDCMP.
- NDCMP Contractor's Final Report (16 mb) - The most recent contractor's final report on the North Dakota Cloud Modification Project.
Are you a past NDCMP employee in need of employment verification? - Please send NDCMP employment verification requests to:
ND Atmospheric Resource Board
900 E Boulevard Ave Dept 770
Bismarck ND 58505